- Bring your passion for working to break the cycle of homelessness to a new role
- Finish each day knowing that you’ve truly made a difference in the lives of others
- Enjoy a salary of $49,860.46 – $53,184.49 (plus night/afternoon shift premiums) and an excellent benefits package
About Homes First
Based in Toronto, Homes First have been providing supportive housing and shelter for over 35 years with a focus on the chronically homeless, people with complex mental health and addictions issues, and seniors. We operate from a harm reduction and client-centred approach.
Homes First is a rapidly growing organization and we need hardworking people to join us at our shelters and respites to provide services to those people with the fewest housing options.
For more information please visit our website.
About the Opportunity
Currently, Homes First is looking for enthusiastic Community Shelter Workers to join our team in Toronto, Ontario on a full-time basis.
As a Community Shelter Worker, you will provide support to clients who are facing issues of poverty, mental health, addictions, abuse, and social isolation within one of our shelters or respite services. You will work rotating shifts for a total of 40 hours per week.
More specifically your responsibilities in this role will include:
- Working with clients in order to establish what their own goals are.
- Using case management as a tool to support clients in meeting their goals.
- Deescalating individuals who are in crisis.
- Working with clients from a harm reduction capacity, especially those that may have issues of addiction or substance abuse.
- Referring clients with specific issues to resources that will support them/their goals.
To qualify for this role, candidates will have a post-secondary education in Social Work, Mental Health, Harm Reduction or similar and previous experience working with people who are homeless, under-housed, or hard to house. Individuals with a differing mix of experience and education may also be considered. Certificates in First Aid, CPR, and Crisis Prevention and Intervention are an asset.
As our ideal candidate you will have some knowledge of tenant populations, diversity issues, anti-discrimination practices, and the systematic reasons for homelessness. You will also possess excellent communication skills, the capability of comfortably working both as part of a team and with minimal supervision, and a proven track record of going beyond the call of duty in your passion for working to break the cycle of homelessness for people with the fewest housing options.
Individuals with strong critical thinking and decision making skills will excel in this role, as will individuals with cultural sensitivity and an awareness of the broad diversity of people who are without a safe space to live.
About the Benefits
In appreciation of your hard work and dedication, you can expect to be rewarded with a salary of $49,860.46 – $53,184.49 (plus night/afternoon shift premiums).
As well as joining a positive unionized environment you can also look forward to receiving fantastic benefits, including:
- Employer-paid Health and Dental benefits
- Pension of 8% – employee contribution of 1.9% and employer contribution of 6.1-7.1%
- Two weeks vacation on joining that increases by a week after a year
- Three weeks of sick days per year
- Huge amounts of training offered – we have two offsite training days a year with both breakfast and lunch provided
- Opportunities for career progression – the growing homelessness crisis requires us to grow too and we prefer to promote from within
Upon joining Homes First, you will be welcomed into a supportive and inclusive team. We greatly value the contributions of all our team members and are committed to providing a safe and rewarding working environment as well as opportunities for professional development and career progression.
If you’re looking for a new and rewarding career – Apply Now!
Please label your resume file document with your first and last name.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.