University of Toronto
Date Posted: 11/23/2022
Req ID: 28636
Faculty/Division: Vice-Provost, Students
Department: Enrolment Services
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00053225
The Office of the Vice-Provost, Strategic Enrolment Management (VPSEM) champions a student-centric approach to enrolment activities, engaging divisional leaders and implementing transformations that support institutional and divisional goals.
Strategic Enrolment Management (SEM) guides University processes to identify and attract students in alignment with our strategic priorities: excellence; accessibility; and a caring inclusive community. SEM processes ensure that students have the tools and supports they need to complete their studies and touches all aspects of the student lifecycle, from recruitment through graduation.
Do you have a passion for writing?
Do you love storytelling and creating content with purpose?
Do you thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment?
If so, we have an exciting new role within the Communications team!
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Digital & Strategic Communications, the Communications Writer is a key member of the team and is responsible for creating and editing content to advance the communications strategies of the division.
As an experienced writer, you will craft meaningful and engaging content for a variety of channels, including websites, emails, social media, digital reports, newsletters, and blog posts. You will seek creative opportunities and make recommendations on how to effectively communicate key messages to audiences at various levels. You are adept at navigating multiple tasks with competing deadlines, and are keen to contribute your communications experience and expertise.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Liaising with divisional staff to support effective content/story development; Liaising with clients to draft, review and discuss communications briefs
- Conducting interviews with leaders, staff, and students for external publication
- Generating original concepts and writing news and feature stories
- Drafting and editing content for print and/or online communications channels (e.g. brochures, newsletters, websites, social media, award nominations, etc.)
- Proofreading and fact-checking content
- Drafting presentation materials
- Analyzing practices and/or editorial standards and recommending improvements
- Researching and recommending story ideas that advance priorities and initiatives
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Professional Writing, Marketing/Communications, or related field; or an acceptable combination of equivalent experience
- Minimum four (4) years of recent and relevant experience in communications, media, or public relations
- Experience and knowledge of Canadian Press style with the ability to copy-edit to a house style that offers some published exceptions
- Demonstrated experiencepitching original story ideas and completing all phases of the creative process including concept development, research, interviews, writing, recording, editing, and distribution
- Experience with creating, editing and posting content on social media and websites
- Experience fostering and sustaining relationships with internal and external contacts
- Outstanding writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated time management, organizational and analytical skills with the ability to balance competing priorities and m multiple projects within tight timelines
- Experience in a post-secondary institution
To be successful in this role you willbe:
- Goal oriented
Closing Date: 12/02/2022, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Term (One year term beginning January 2023)
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 11 – $67,659 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $86,523. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Recruiter: Stefanie Latham
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.