University of Toronto
Date Posted: 11/16/2023
Req ID: 34997
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts & Science
Department: Dept of Chemistry
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Position Number: 00011211
The Faculty of Arts & Science is the heart of Canada’s leading university and one of the most comprehensive and diverse academic divisions in the world. The strength of Arts & Science derives from our combined teaching and research excellence in the humanities, sciences and social sciences across 29 departments, seven colleges and 46 interdisciplinary centres, institutes and programs.
We can only realize our mission with the dedication and excellence of engaged staff and faculty. The diversity of opportunities and perspectives within the Faculty reflect the local and global landscape and the need for curiosity, innovative thinking and collaboration. At Arts & Science, we take pride in our legacy of innovation and discovery that has changed the way we think about the world.
Established in 1859, the Department of Chemistry is one of the leading institutions of its kind in Canada – featuring teaching excellence, advanced research facilities and development of distinguished scientists in the past and for the future. Our department has a wide variety of services including chemical stores, NMR lab, X-ray analysis lab and a mass spectrometry lab. These resources, combined with our ambition and excitement, create an ideal place to work, research and make an impact in scientific education.
Reporting to the Manager and Executive Assistant to the Chair of the Department of Chemistry, the Communication Officer will be responsible for the design and development of communications materials, marketing and outreach efforts of the Department of Chemistry and the Centre for Quantum Information & Quantum Control to increase the profile andreputation of the department and the centre, nationally and internationally to attract prospective students, and to improve the overall experience for current and prospective students.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Promoting programs and service offerings to internal and/or external contact
- Implementing digital communication plans across a broad range of marketing/communication channels
- Building and strengthening relationships with stakeholders and partners of strategic importance
- Producing promotional and outreach materials
- Advising others on website design and content
- Implementing social media campaigns
- Analyzing the effectiveness of campaigns and/or programs using metrics
- Bachelor’s Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum four (4) years’ of recent and related experience in communications, journalism, or marketing.
- Demonstrated experience with communications project implementation and coordination through to execution and results. Experience in scientific writing.
- Experience with interviewing, researching scientific information and writing articles (feature and news), annual reports, letters, and promotional and public relations material (websites, brochures, posters, advertisements, newsletters, etc.).
- Experience in promoting programs such as donation campaigns, mentorship programs, and other service offerings to internal and/or external contacts
- Demonstrated experience with WordPress and Drupal or other current content management software (CMS).
- Experience managing and writing content for websites, and newsletters.
- Experience and a high degree of intuition with new media as a communications tool.
- Experience with developing and managing digital marketing.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of social and multimedia strategies, tools, channels, trends, and capabilities
- Experience working with technical consultants and graphic designers to create effective and engaging materials.
- Strong skills with programming in HTML and content management systems.
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to deal with a variety of responsibilities, with interruptions.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Project implementation skills and knowledge about the principles of good design and how to assess audience needs.
- Proven journalistic skills, including investigating and pitching stories, executing interviews, and writing news and feature stories.
- Exceptional proofreading and editing skills with working knowledge of graphic design principles for web and print communication
- Experience with programming in HTML, CSS, and PHP
- Experience working with science-research environment an advantage.
- Experience editing, retouching and optimizing images for web and print publishing.
- Experience editing HD and UHD videos (ability to create simple animations for intros/outros and adding these to the video, editing/adding soundtracks, reducing noise, cropping/combining video clips).
- Experience taking professional photos and recording HD and UHD videos.
- Experience creating templates and layouts for print and web publishing.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
- Team player
Closing Date: 11/27/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Continuing
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 11 — $73,748 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $94,310. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Recruiter: Ann Yang
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.