Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
The Communications Officer reports to the Associate Director, Communications of Student Life and Learning (SLL). Responsibilities include providing strategic communications advice, planning support, troubleshooting, and other communications guidance/assistance to both SLL and International Education. The Communications Officer must stay up to date with recommended practices and new tools in web communications, marketing, design, multimedia and social media, and execute plans for the creation and overhaul of SLL and websites in keeping with a pre-established McGill look and feel.
- Under the guidance of the Associate Director, Communications, develop communications plans for projects, initiatives, and events.
- Provide professional expertise and advice on a variety of communication activities and events. Provide guidance on the selection of communications tools, such as internal media, social media, ad campaigns, and graphic design.
- Manage the implementation of communications plans and initiatives in support of SLL’s strategic direction.
- Create and maintain websites, including developing information architecture and writing and formatting content in keeping with established tone and visual guidelines.
- Develop web-based forms, resource document templates, and other such tools, in support of communications initiatives.
- Create, write and/or edit a variety of communications materials, such as ebulletins, brochures, posters, PowerPoint presentations, and official announcements. Ensure consistency of tone, as well as adherence to pre-established visual guidelines.
- Analyze web, email, and ad campaign analytics, and provide appropriate recommendations based on findings.
- Liaise with photographers and graphic designers, and manage photo shoots and branding development processes.
- Conduct focus groups, surveys, and other information gathering activities as needed.
- Develop and foster effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities
Superior writing and editing skills, with the ability to easily and readily adapt tone to a given audience. Proven ability to effectively manage multiple projects in a fast-paced environment. Proven experience working with clients to assess and meet their communications needs. Knowledge of effective information architecture for websites; knowledge of web usability; knowledge of SEO best practices and analytics software. Basic HTML knowledge an asset. Emergency Communications experience is an asset. Knowledge of French and English. McGill University is an English-language university where day to day duties may require English communication both verbally and in writing. Experience working in a post-secondary institution or not for profit organization considered an asset.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree 3 Years Related Experience /
(MPEX Grade 04) $58,470.00 – $73,090.00 – $87,710.00
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Senior Director (Student Life and Learning)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.