TITLE: Communications Instructor (Sessional)
The ideal candidate will be capable of teaching one or more of the following CMNS course(s):
- CMNS 230 – Cultural Industries: Canada and the World: This course explores the meaning of “cultural industries” such as film, sound recording, publishing etc. and their influence on current Canadian and international communications experiences. Students will consider the impact of the digital world on the economic, political and social aspects of media sectors including news, film, music, and gaming. In addition, students will critically analyze different cultural industries as a product of the relations between for-profit businesses, regulatory structures, and social dynamics, as well as their role in society today.
- CMNS 253 – Introduction to Information and Communications Technology and New Media: This course explores developments in the use of Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs) in digital media. Much more than simple tools that facilitate our use of media platforms, ICTs are now distinct spaces in which part of our lives take place. This course critically analyzes the cultural, economic, political, and social shifts related to our use of technology as well as our understanding of its nature. Students will employ different methods, as well as critiques, of the use of news and social media platforms in order to strengthen a holistic approach to new media in the digital context. Social issues that arise from the use of technology will also be discussed.
Our ideal candidate will have a passion for instructing, assisting students’ acquisition of learning outcomes, and applying active learning strategies within the classroom.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Part-time, contract
LOCATION: Burnaby/Vancouver Campus
WHY JOIN US:
- Group extended health, dental, and life benefits
- Annual Professional Development days
- Health and Wellness counselling sessions for staff and faculty
- Employee engagement events and activities
- Facilities: Brand new campus and office space that emphasizes a culture of environmentally friendly practices. Secure bike lockers and shower.
- Supportive, friendly, and encouraging team of people
WHO WE ARE: Alexander College is a private post-secondary institution serving approximately 4,000 students every year. Students choose to study at Alexander College to complete their Associate of Arts or Science degree or take a variety of University Transfer courses. We strive for excellence in higher education for students from many cultural backgrounds and language abilities by providing university transfer courses and degree programs, individual support services, and campus activities to foster local and global community engagement.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Communications, or equivalent
- 2 years’ experience teaching the same or similar courses at another BC post-secondary institution
- Able to demonstrate success in innovative or student-centered teaching techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of course learning outcomes an asset
- Proficient with educational technology including databases and online learning environments
- Excellent instructional capability
- Able to maintain professionalism and cordiality when working with others
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office programs and applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, etc.)
- Strong Proficiency in English
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested and you would like to apply, please visit our careers page for the full position description: https://alexandercollege.ca/about-us/careers/ and e-mail your cover letter, CV and statement of teaching philosophy with the e-mail title being “[Your Full name] _Communications Instructor (Sessional) 2023”. In your cover letter, be sure to tell us what you would bring to this team and why you’d be perfect for this role. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
Other titles for this role: Sessional Instructor, University Teacher, Lecturer, Contract Instructor
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Burnaby, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Master’s Degree (preferred)
- teaching: 2 years (preferred)
Work Location: One location
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.