TITLE: Communications Instructor (Sessional)
The ideal candidate will be capable of teaching one or more of the following CMNS course(s):
- CMNS 110 – Introduction to Communications Studies: The main goal of Communications Studies is to critically assess the images and messages of contemporary media. How do they create meaning? Do they enlarge or restrict our understanding of the world? This course introduces a range of perspectives that seek to explain why we communicate as we do, including a general overview of communications theory and its historical development. Specific fields within the area of communication will also be explored, including: the study of popular culture, media analysis, advertising, journalism, and the political economy of communication.
- CMNS 130 – Communication and Social Change: How have the internet and social media influenced Canadian society? To what extent have historical and contemporary developments in communications technology changed the way we do business, discuss politics, and become global citizens, and what issues have resulted? This course critically examines the role of communication in social change in the forms and institutions through which we communicate. In particular, we will discuss theoretical perspectives on the relationship between communication and the major political, economic and regulatory shifts that characterize Canadian and transnational media systems. Different eras of mass communication and leading approaches to its evolution will also be introduced.
Our ideal candidate will have a passion for instructing, assisting students’ acquisition of learning outcomes, and applying active learning strategies within the classroom.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Part-time, contract
TERM: Winter 2023 (January 9th, 2023 – April 18th, 2023)
LOCATION: Burnaby/Vancouver Campus
SCHEDULE: Flexible, dependent on availability
WHY JOIN US:
- Group extended health, dental, and life benefits
- Annual Professional Development days
- Health and Wellness counselling sessions for staff and faculty
- Employee engagement events and activities
- Facilities: Brand new campus and office space that emphasizes a culture of environmentally friendly practices. Secure bike lockers and shower.
- Supportive, friendly, and encouraging team of people
WHO WE ARE: Alexander College is a private post-secondary institution serving approximately 4,000 students every year. Students choose to study at Alexander College to complete their Associate of Arts or Science degree or take a variety of University Transfer courses. We strive for excellence in higher education for students from many cultural backgrounds and language abilities by providing university transfer courses and degree programs, individual support services, and campus activities to foster local and global community engagement.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Communications, or equivalent
- 2 years’ experience teaching the same or similar courses at another BC post-secondary institution
- Able to demonstrate success in innovative or student-centered teaching techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of course learning outcomes an asset
- Proficient with educational technology including databases and online learning environments
- Excellent instructional capability
- Able to maintain professionalism and cordiality when working with others
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office programs and applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, etc.)
- Strong Proficiency in English
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested and you would like to apply, please visit our careers page for the full position description: https://alexandercollege.ca/about-us/careers/ and e-mail your cover letter, CV and statement of teaching philosophy with the e-mail title being “[Your Full name] _Communications Instructor (Sessional) Winter 2023”. In your cover letter, be sure to tell us what you would bring to this team and why you’d be perfect for this role. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
Other titles for this role: Sessional Instructor, University Teacher, Lecturer, Contract Instructor
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Vision care
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Burnaby, BC: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Master’s Degree (preferred)
- teaching: 2 years (preferred)
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.