University of Alberta
This competition is restricted to internal applicants of the University of Alberta. Please indicate your internal status using the “Advertisement” drop down menu when applying.
This position is part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits Overview page .
Location: This is an in-person role and work primarily takes place at North Campus Edmonton.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
The Strategic Communications/Issues Management team is a part of the U of A’s External Relations portfolio. We raise awareness and enhance understanding of the University of Alberta, internally and externally. We bring to light stories that showcase our faculty, staff and students, connect the university with its many communities and advocate for the U of A as we advance our promise of uplifting the whole people.
Reporting to the Director, Issues Management & Strategic Initiatives, the Communications Coordinator supports the Strategic Communications unit in coordinating initiatives, programs and services to ensure the delivery of integrated communications, marketing, digital and creative services to internal and external audiences. The position is a part of a dynamic, best-in-class team developing proactive communications strategies and digital communications campaigns that support strategic objectives, and those that respond to current issues and crises. Communications Coordinators work alongside experts in media relations, news and magazine writing, internal communications, social media, digital design, communications planning and brand marketing. In all facets of this role, the Communications Coordinator endeavors to integrate and advance the university’s commitments to equity, diversity and inclusivity. This position understands, fulfills, and promotes the health, safety and environment responsibilities identified in university policy.
- Contributes to communications plans for specific initiatives, programs or audiences.
- Coordinates and executes communication plans and tactics in consultation with and taking direction from the supervisor.
- Researches and writes material for targeted audiences across a variety of channels.
- Develops written communications, which can include but is not limited to including presentations, speeches, monthly newsletters, news stories, web content, talking points, correspondence, website content, and marketing copy.
- Provides active monitoring of news, digital and social media channels and platforms and prepares related reports and content for the External Relations team.
- Provides editing, fact checking and proofreading support as needed.
- Coordinates distributions and mailing lists, and related administrative services for the team.
- A bachelor’s degree or diploma in a related field.
- One to three years progressive communications and marketing experience within a complex, multi-stakeholder organization.
- Knowledge of the public environment, including the media and the political system, and how they function.
- English language editorial skills.
- Strong research and writing skills with the ability to be concise and to write analyses.
- Comprehension of the Canadian post-secondary environment.
- Ability to quickly grasp the relevancy for University of Alberta news stories.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong digital communications skills, including preparing text and visual content for web and email platforms.
- Ability to produce results under pressure quickly and reliably.
- Ability to balance competing priorities and meet and manage client expectations.
- High degree of professionalism and judgement.
- Ability to take initiative and to work autonomously.
- Aptitude to learn and keep pace with new web publishing technologies.
- Ability to identify target audience preferences and build content to meet them.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication skills both written and oral and ability to work with all levels of staff and management.
- Ability to create strong stakeholder relationships through effective communication and client service to ensure deliverables are met.
- Ability to maintain positive client relationships even when there are diverging opinions.
- Ability to work collaboratively with Centres of Expertise and strategic portfolios to ensure consistent and complementary plans and events.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with news alerts and media monitoring tools.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with digital and social media tools and platforms.
- Proficiency with online content publishing platforms such as WordPress, Medium, etc.
- Proficiency using Microsoft Office and Google’s suite of office products.
- Previous experience in a professional communications or public relations role.
- Comprehension of the University of Alberta, its stakeholders, partners, and governance structure.
- Experience conducting data analysis, and interpreting news/media data activities (i.e. mentions, sentiment, engagement).
- Knowledge and experience navigating U of A Library services.
- Experience building dashboards.
- French language skills.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.