University of Toronto
Date Posted: 09/19/2023
Req ID: 33999
Faculty/Division: UofT Mississauga
Department: UTM: Ofc of the Registrar
Campus: University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM)
Position Number: 00051796
The university’s second largest division, U of T Mississauga has 17 academic departments and offers 156 programs in 92 areas of study. Home to approximately 15,000 students and over 1,000 faculty and staff, the campus houses the Mississauga Academy of Medicine, Centre for Medicinal Chemistry and Institute for Management and Innovation. With its distinctive interdisciplinary programs such as forensic sciences and biomedical communications, U of T Mississauga offers a broad array of continuing education programs and professional masters programs. Established in 1967, the campus features award-winning architecture, robust community partnerships and a dynamic student environment set amongst 225 acres along the Credit River in Mississauga.
The Office of the Registrar at U of T Mississauga delivers registrarial services to support U of T Mississauga’s academic goals and U of T priorities in the areas of student information, interpretation of policies, and innovation of registrarial interactions. Our core mission is effective and sustainable strategic enrolment management: student recruitment, retention, success and graduation. Operating in a culture of cooperation and collaboration, we achieve our goals and objectives based on values of student-focused solutions, integrity of academic records and continuous innovative improvements.
Reporting to the Assistant Registrar, Student Communications, the Communications Assistant is responsible for supporting the development and implementation of Office of the Registrar communications strategies for undergraduate students at U of T Mississauga. The Communications Assistant will be responsible for researching, writing and editing content for electronic, digital and print communications, student focused website and social media communications, and will review, monitor and maintain the same. The Communications Assistant will participate in the development of materials and design setup for various activities and events, assist with surveys and reports, and design and produce web videos directed at new and current undergraduate students. The Communications Assistant will develop and maintain ongoing social media presence with students in an ever-changing social media environment.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Researching and recommending story ideas that advance priorities and initiatives
- Writing and editing targeted communications to support strategic initiatives
- Consulting with clients regarding the development of marketing and/or communication materials
- Drafting and editing content for print and/or online communications channels
- Proofreading and fact-checking content
- Keeping well-informed on social media trends, technologies and best practices
- Tracking and monitoring digital communications activities
- Maintaining information on a website
- University degree in communications, creative writing, marketing or equivalent combination of education and experience. Formal training in design, layout and/or desktop publishing.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a fast-paced, communications and customer service role
- Experience with digital, electronic and print design and production of communications for a diverse community
- Experience developing, maintaining and updating websites
- Experience creating and managing social media communications, videos and webinars
- Strong customer service, communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent writing, proof-reading and editing skills with attention to detail
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, Adobe, Photoshop/Illustrator, social media, videography and webinars
- Ability to manage projects, demonstrating initiative with a willingness to learn new technologies and stay informed on best practices
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills with the ability to work effectively under pressure, independently and as part of a team
- Experience in a post-secondary institution
- Knowledge and use of analytics
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Possess a positive attitude
- Problem solver
Closing Date: 09/27/2023, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget – Term
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
Job Category: Registrarial Services
Lived Experience Statement
Candidates who are members of Indigenous, Black, racialized and 2SLGBTQ+ communities, persons with disabilities, and other equity deserving groups are encouraged to apply, and their lived experience shall be taken into consideration as applicable to the posted position.
This is a TERM position until April 2025
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.