University of Alberta
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has a term length of one year plus a day with a possibility of renewal and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits Overview page .
Under the direct supervision of Dr. Yuxiang Chen, the Communications and Grant/ Technical Writer will be responsible forassisting with the preparation of grant proposals and reports, scientific publications, conferences, and other types of technical communications to support the research and administrative activities of several faculty members.
This will involve helping to coordinate preparation of large proposals, assisting department faculty members with the preparation of funding requests, writing portions of grant submissions, technical editing/reviewing of grant submissions written by others, facilitating the submission of grant proposals, and the maintenance of records and generation of reports related to the grant submission activity of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. The Communications and Grant/ Technical Writer will also assist with other technical and scientific writing needs (e.g., journal articles, white papers).
- Collaborate with individual faculty and staff members who seek help in locating funding opportunities for their ideas
- Edit, write, and coordinate grant proposals, manuscripts, and other documents related to academic research
- Identify opportunities for peer-reviewed funding, locate suitable applicants, provide support with grant preparation, and work with Principal Investigators (PIs) and other staff to ensure timely submission of proposals so as to maximize external funding for the research programs
- Enhance proposal quality prior to submission (e.g. pre-review of editorial and technical aspects); minimize preparation burden on PIs
- Develop and facilitate an efficient proposal production process to include conducting effective project planning; coordinate proposal teams; pre-award grant writing/proposal editing
- Research institutional and sponsor policies and regulations to ensure successful implementation in accordance with grant contract terms and agency requirements and compliance
- Prepare drafts of proposals, including project narratives, budget, and other supporting documentation, in a timely manner to meet grant application deadlines
- Drafting of supportive documents; coordinate, as needed, with the various funding agencies on grant administration issues
- Edits, proofreads, or assists with writing reports (technical, progress, etc.) for submission to collaborators or funding agencies
- Edit highly technical documents (e.g., conference and journal papers and theses) to high standards, sometimes under tight deadlines
- Maintain accurate and timely records to track progress of multiple projects and deliverables.
- Perform other duties inclusive as assigned
- Discover and implement best practices
Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter that outlines why you believe you are the right person for this position. Also, in your cover letter, please provide a detailed answer to the following question:
“How will you contribute to a culture of trust, effectiveness and execution in the Faculty of Engineering?”
Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered. Applications received with a cover letter that does not specifically address these important items will also not be considered.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email – cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.