University of Alberta
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has a term length of twelve months plus one day and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits Overview page .
Location – Work primarily takes place at North Campus Edmonton
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Working for the Department/Faculty
As an integral member of the APCaRI Registry and BioRepository, the CRC works in a dynamic, collaborative, quality-focused environment. Research staff interacts with technical, medical and management staff at the Northern and Southern Alberta Urology Clinics, in addition to Registry personnel and partnering hospitals.
The role of the CRC provides an interesting and challenging opportunity to collaborate with Investigators and the health care team to assume responsibility for the overall patient enrollment and coordination of clinical studies for the Alberta Prostate Cancer Research Initiative, APCaRI. The CRC will work primarily in the Urology clinics in Edmonton or Calgary. Studies include recruitment to the Alberta Prostate Registry and BioRepository as well as Investigator initiated trials.
- Plans and coordinates the initiation of research study protocols
- Participates in protocol management: reviews and adheres to multiple research protocols
- Reconciles research accounts; assists with accounts and prepares invoices for payment
- Assembles study specific source documents and prepares study binders to ensure regulatory
- documentation is maintained to meet study requirements
- Provides instruction/teaching to study participants regarding study participation, protocol
- requirements, follow- up schedule, the use of data collection tools
- Conducts patient recruitment, follow-up, data collection, case report form (CRF) completion, study monitoring, data query resolution; promotes patient’s adherence to the study and monitors patient safety in relation to study protocols
- Performs venipuncture to obtain blood samples, instructs patients to obtain urine and/or semen sample, request, processes and stores tissue samples according to protocols and standard SOPs. Transfers samples to long-term storage facilities in a regular manner
- Contributes to the development and maintenance of protocols, ethics applications, manuals, guidelines, SOPs, Intake Surveys, Quality of Life Questionnaires, and other study-associated documents
- Provides ongoing written and oral reporting with the University Health Ethics Research Office (ARISE) (when applicable), Northern Alberta Clinical Trials and Research Centre (NACTRC) (when applicable), and Human Research Ethics Board of Alberta (HREBA); investigators and industry sponsors (when applicable)
- Works with investigators to notify departments regarding study termination/compliance; ensures appropriate retention of study files/materials
- Conducts daily aspects of trials according to defined study protocols
- Monitors the progress of research activities; develops and maintains records of research activities, and prepares periodic and ad hoc reports, as required by investigators, administrators, funding agencies, and/or regulatory bodies
- Develops and implements quality control processes throughout the conduct of the studies
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned including support for other programs related to APCaRI and/or the clinic’s research centre activities
- Attends to APCaRI conferences twice a year
- Signs confidentiality agreement and maintains participant confidentiality at all times.
- Establish, execute, review and evaluate laboratory policies and procedures for operating functions of laboratory, including lab manuals and lab SOPs.
- Analyze, supervise and manage all Laboratory Department activities.
- Provide and perform access to laboratory personnel for consultation and determine operational troubles in timely manner.
- Monitor and order all study and lab supplies.
- Receive and acknowledge study and drug supplies; perform drug accountability, and monitor expiry dates for all supplies.
- Perform quality assurance of medical lab equipment – order, maintain and calibrate yearly.
- Maintain and update WHMIS documentation and all other laboratory records, reports and files.
- Mentor and train new staff / volunteers involved in the operation of the research Lab.
- Continuous organization of the Research Lab, to accommodate ongoing requirements and changing goals of the research department.
- BSc. or BScN.
- At least 2 years of previous clinical research experience
- Certification in Phlebotomy mandatory
- Training in ICH/GCP guidelines and GCP Certificate
- Knowledge of TDG and IATA shipping regulations and basic laboratory procedures
- Proficiency with MS Office Software – Word and Excel required
- Recognized certification in clinical research (ACRP or SOCRA) obtained or plan to work towards it an asset
- NACTRC research course an asset
- Knowledge of basic laboratory procedures an asset
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.