TITLE: Biology Instructor (Sessional)
The ideal candidate will be capable of teaching one or more of the following BIOLOGY course(s):
- BIOL 100 – Introductory Biology: This survey course is designed for non-science students with an interest in the place of humans in nature. The course deals with evolution, genetics, cellular and molecular perspectives on biology, and examines the place of humans in the biosphere (ecology). The course consists of lectures and integrated laboratory exercises.
- BIOL 105 – Biological Concepts in Sustainability: This course uses a biological perspective to analyze environmental problems and uses the framework of sustainability to address possible remedies and solutions for environmental issues. Students will analyze the dimensions and ramifications of sustainable strategies to overcome current global issues through the study of relevant biological science topics. This course provides students with a foundation for future study by exploring both quantitative and qualitative methods used to investigate biological sustainability as well as theoretical perspectives. By focusing on current issues and case studies from around the world this course will help prepare global citizens to engage in policy debates on environmental issues.
Our ideal candidate will have a passion for instructing, assisting students’ acquisition of learning outcomes, and applying active learning strategies within the classroom.
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Part-time, contract
TERM: Winter 2023 (January – April 2023)
LOCATION: Burnaby Campus
Flexible, dependent on availability
WHY JOIN US:
- Group extended health, dental, and life benefits
- Annual Professional Development days
- Health and Wellness counselling sessions for staff and faculty
- Employee engagement events and activities
- Facilities: Brand new campus and office space that emphasizes a culture of environmentally friendly practices. Secure bike lockers and shower.
- Supportive, friendly, and encouraging team of people
WHO WE ARE: Alexander College is a private post-secondary institution serving approximately 4,000 students every year. Students choose to study at Alexander College to complete their Associate of Arts or Science degree or take a variety of University Transfer courses. We strive for excellence in higher education for students from many cultural backgrounds and language abilities by providing university transfer courses and degree programs, individual support services, and campus activities to foster local and global community engagement.
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Biology, or equivalent.
- 2 years’ experience teaching the same or similar courses at another BC post-secondary institution
- Able to demonstrate success in innovative or student-centered teaching techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of course learning outcomes an asset
- Proficient with educational technology including databases and online learning environments
- Excellent instructional capability
- Able to maintain professionalism and cordiality when working with others Proficient with all Microsoft Office programs and applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams, etc.) ·
- Strong Proficiency in English
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are interested and you would like to apply, please visit our careers page for the full position description: https://alexandercollege.ca/about-us/careers/ and e-mail your cover letter, CV and statement of teaching philosophy with the e-mail title being “[Your Full-name] _Biology Instructor (Sessional) Winter 2023”. In your cover letter, be sure to tell us what you would bring to this team and why you’d be perfect for this role. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. No phone calls please. Thank you!
Other titles for this role: Sessional Instructor, UniversityBiology Teacher, Lecturer, Contract Instructor
Job Types: Part-time, Fixed term contract
- Monday to Friday
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.