Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Reporting to the Director, Administration and Operations, the Associate Director, Finance will oversee the day-to-day accounting operations, budget, financial planning, forecasting and financial reporting for the Montreal Neurological Institute (MNI). The financial portfolio of the Montreal Neurological Institute includes research conducted at the MNI, the Center for Neurological Disease Models, The Clinical Research Unit, The Brain Imaging Center, and the Microscopy Platform. The Associate Director advises the Director, Administration and Operations on budget, performance, cost saving initiatives, financial policies and guidelines, opportunities and risks, and recommends course of action. The Associate Director, Finance will ensure continued implementation of, and adherence to, University policies and procedures, internal control systems, accounting principles and standards within the MNI.
- Manage overall day to day financial operations of the MNI.
- Analyze overall financial performance in line with goals and objectives. Provide efficient and effective advice for decision-making with respect to the MNI’s strategic objectives, priorities and financial activities.
- Oversee the MNI operating budget and determine need for adjustments when appropriate
- Partner with MNI departments/units to provide financial guidance and oversight.
- Prepare financial projections for the institute.
- Create and implement a best-in-class financial reporting system for the MNI to ensure management is making informed business and resource allocation decisions.
- Build and supervise a team of financial staff. Establish operational objectives; determine work assignments; provide training, coaching, mentoring; manage performance.
- Maintain and ensure adherence to university accounting, control and financial management policies. Recommend, produce and implement new and improved policies, guidelines and practices.
- Identify and resolve compliance issues; partner with MNI researchers, department/unit heads and teams to design and establish appropriate programs to provide a robust system of internal controls to protect and steward institute resources.
- Key financial contact with the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences Finance department.
- Act as a champion to embed a culture of continuous improvement and the achievement of a truly valued partnership with our researchers, department/unit heads and teams.
- Represent the MNI at internal and external meetings/committees related to financial matters. Liaises with finance counterparts across the University and/or at other institutions to share expertise across all areas of the organization.
- Respond to internal and external auditors..
- Perform other related duties and special projects as required
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities
Finance designation is an asset (CMA or CGA). Extensive knowledge of accounting principles and financial management best practices. Ability to administer funds and prepare detailed budgets and reports. Knowledge of McGill fund types (or other University) including experience working with research grants. Ability to effectively communicate and interact with various levels of staff and academics. Service-oriented with a proven ability to provide excellent customer service and the ability to establish productive working relationships quickly. Demonstrated management and leadership skills in order to cultivate and strengthen relationships, with a proven track record of optimizing team performance and achieving group goals. Has experience leading change management activities related to process improvement initiatives. Demonstrated ability to create comprehensive financial statements, prepare detailed reports and work with complex formulas. Advanced proficiency with computerized applications including spreadsheets, databases, word-processing software, Banner FIS and Crystal Reports and Power BI. Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. High degree of self-direction, including the ability to multi-task, prioritize and meet multiple deadlines at short notice. Proven organizational skills and attention to detail. Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and as part of a team. Proven success in facilitating and maintaining strong, consistent, and positive communications to a diverse audience. Spoken and written communication skills in both English and French.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree 5 Years Related Experience /
(MPEX Grade 07) $82,150.00 – $102,690.00 – $123,230.00
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Director, Administration and Operations
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.