University of Calgary
We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
The Kluane Lake Research Station in the Arctic Institute of North America is currently seeking a Full-time Temporary (Short Term) Assistant Chef for approximately 5 months.
This position reports to the Kluane Lake Research Station Executive Chef. The role primarily includes responsibility for food preparation and dining services in a timely manner for groups of up to to 100 participants. Responsible for assisting the Executive Chef in the management of a large kitchen and food service area. Assistant Chef will be required to assume full responsibility of the kitchen and food service area during the absence of the Executive Chef.
The Arctic Institute is home to the Kluane Lake Research Station (KLRS) which is located 220 km northwest of Whitehorse, Yukon, on the south shore of Kluane Lake, on the traditional lands of the Kluane, Champagne-Ashihik and White River First Nations.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Supervises and coordinates food services staff and ensures all kitchen and dining areas are clean and safe at all times.
- Participates in planning meetings and reviews group information with KLRS staff for kitchen/dining services required by each group.
- Orders food and beverage supplies under direction of Executive Chef.
- Interacts with customers and arranges menu selection for food allergies, restrictions or other requests.
- Duties will include preparing trays, cleaning and peeling vegetables, preparing salads, making cookies and laying out materials for bagged lunches, cooking and preparing complete meals.
- Maintains and cleans kitchen and dining area, dishes, utensils, tables, and food equipment.
- During slower months, additional duties will be assigned where required around the field station and anticipated to be about 5% of the overall time. Duties may include assisting janitorial or housekeeping or general groundwork such as shoveling.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Food Safe Certification is a requirement. Red Seal Certification would be an asset. Experience and considerable knowledge of organization and procedures common to large scale food preparation and services.
- Experience and knowledge of purchasing and procedures related to meats, fresh produce, dry stores, supplies and equipment required for kitchen/dining operations.
- Experience and knowledge of proper food storage, food value and nutrition, ethnic foods, and production with minimum wastage.
- Experience in supervision and instruction kitchen/dining service staff.
- Ability to work autonomously and adapt to multiple competing priorities is expected.
- The incumbent must exhibit superior organizational and time-management skills as well as judgment, initiative and strong interpersonal skills.
- Work under pressure, multi-task, and meet multiple commitments and deadlines by demonstrating a strong ability to effectively prioritize.
- Successfully work in a team-oriented environment.
- Exercise judgment within established guidelines.
Application Deadline: March 30, 2023
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Operational and Administrative Support Career Band, Level 2 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework. Management and Professional Staff (MaPS) Positions are currently under review as part of the Alberta Labour Relations Board exclusion review process. Visit the HR website for more information.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website .
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca .
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High , committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion ([email protected] ) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources ([email protected] ).
We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
View or Apply
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.