Syndicat Etudiant de lâUniversitÃ© dâOttawa -- University of Ottawa Students' Union
The ASL interpreter is a temporary position of the University of Ottawa Students’ Union (UOSU), reporting to the Chair of the Board of Directors. The ASL interpreter will work closely with the Board of Directors, UOSU staff, Executives and Directors and will be responsible for providing ASL interpreting to deaf and/or hard of hearing students during the General Assembly, April 2nd, 2023.
The ASL interpreter will provide ASL interpreting for at least one of the official languages (French and English), take onto account the meaning and the context and therefore must possess a broad and deep knowledge of the French langue and/or the English language.
The ASL interpreter’s responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to:
· Providing ASL interpreting and other support services to deaf and/or hard of hearing students during the GA for French and/or English;
· Translating sign language to spoken language between people who are deaf/hard of hearing and people who are hearing;
· Facilitating communication among deaf and/or hard of hearing students and their hearing peers, the execs, the directors, and the audience;
· Contributing to the positive image of the UOSU, its services, its elections, and its decision-making bodies; and
· Carrying out other related tasks as needed.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
· Experience or education in interpreting from French and/or English to ASL and from ASL to French and/or English;
· Excellent communication skills;
· Demonstrate organizational and time management skills;
· Initiative and autonomy;
· Experience interpreting in a student-led event is an asset;
· Bilingual in both official languages of the University of Ottawa (French & English) is an asset;
· Professional interpreting experience is an asset;
· Knowledge of UOSU and its services, businesses, clubs, associations, activities, Constitution and other policies relevant to the position is an asset; and
· Strong knowledge of uOttawa is an asset.
Note: Being a student of the University of Ottawa is not required for this position.
Preference will be given to candidates of equity-seeking groups.
Prospective applicants are invited to submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and list of two (2) references to [email protected] by 11:59 p.m. on March 31st, 2023. Only applicants invited to interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Fixed term contract
Contract length: 1 day
Salary: $35.00 per hour
Work Location: One location
Application deadline: 2023-03-31
Expected start date: 2023-04-02
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.