Vancouver Island University
The Faculty of Health Sciences and Human Services includes the Departments of Child and Youth Care, Dental Assistant, Dental Hygiene, Early Childhood Education and Care, Health Care Assistant, Nursing, Practical Nursing, Social Work, Education Assistant and Community Support, and a Professional Development and Training department.
The mission of the Faculty is to foster student success and develop and maintain relevant, responsive, and stimulating learning opportunities that are community-based, globally and locally, and offered in a visionary, interprofessional environment that is conducive to learning and promotes health and wellness for all. The Dean and the Dean’s Office lead, manage, administer and support the instructional, scholarly and outreach activities of the Faculty on four campuses with this mission in mind.
This position provides clerical support to the Dean’s Office across a wide array of responsibilities.
Reception: Respond to requests for information about the faculty.
Scheduling: Deans meetings, interviews, presentations, workshops, orientations, events, etc.
Deans Office Assistance: Ordering office supplies, creating purchase orders, electronic filing of documents, facilities work order requests, etc.
Word processing: Complex formatting, minutes, course outlines, interview materials, presentation materials, accreditation documents, etc.
Website: Review and update webpage(s) as needed.
Apply applicable policies, processes, and procedures as relevant to the department, such as: Student Conduct, Accreditation, Lab Safety, and Academic misconduct.
Other duties include: coordinate and filter appointments for the Dean and Associate Dean; assist Finance Assistant with tracking expense and credit card claims; provide support on various committees such as Health & Safety, and Biweekly Program Assistant meetings; track employee vacations; liaise with IT and facilities for office moves and/or equipment needs; assist with special projects for Dean or Associate Dean.
One-year certificate in Office Administration, or equivalent, from an appropriately accredited institution. Minimum three years’ related experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Training or demonstrated experience that includes MS Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Must be a team player with excellent interpersonal and communications skills, and the ability to deal with a wide variety of personalities with tact, diplomacy and patience.
- Experience in a post-secondary environment.
- Experienced in Adobe Pro, and/or Creative Suite, familiar with website design and maintenance.
VIU is pleased to offer employees a comprehensive benefit plan; ample paid holiday time; professional development opportunities and a desirable pension plan that takes the worry out of retirement. As part of the VIU campus community, our employees work with supportive colleagues within an encouraging environment and are provided with the tools and training that promote learning and development. The perks of VIU employment are multiple, and include well-being initiatives and services, strategic discounts, and flexible work opportunities.
- Short-listed candidates must provide original transcripts, or applicable original certifications at time of interview.
- All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
- Vancouver Island University (VIU) is collectively committed to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive working and learning environment for faculty, staff, and students. In our journey towards greater diversity, we invite applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all gender identities and sexual orientations who bring value to the VIU community through their lived experiences. We encourage members of all equity-seeking groups to self-identify within their application cover letter. When a candidate voluntarily discloses this information in their cover letter, the information will be used only for the fulfillment of the career opportunity. Disclosure and/or self-identification with an equity-seeking group will not lead to advantageous treatment of a candidate who is not qualified.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.