British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
BCIT’s Broadcast & Media Communications program is seeing a temporary, full-time (1.0 FTE) Administrative Assistant. The Administrative Assistant provides a wide range of administrative support to the Associate Dean’s office, including ensuring the smooth and efficient operations, answering telephone enquiries, maintaining calendars, composing a variety of correspondence, gathering information and documentation for analysis and reporting, processing incoming and outgoing mail, maintaining filing systems, preparing and taking minutes at a variety of meetings, and assisting Programs Heads and faculty with miscellaneous administrative duties.
Duties & Responsibilities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Acts as first point of contact for all clients of the department, including students, potential students, potential employers, advisory committee members and members of several internal BCIT service departments
- Maintains awareness of Associate Dean’s and/or Program Head(s) goals and objectives, and flags priority items requiring attention.
- Maintains awareness of Institute and departmental goals, objectives and issues requiring resolution.
- Creates documents, spreadsheets, graphics, tables and reports. This includes, on own initiative, composing, signing and distributing correspondence related to delegated administrative matters. Sorts, and distributes incoming mail. Screens and routes correspondence, acting on matters arising from correspondence and composing replies for Associate Dean and/or Program Head’s signature.
- Coordinates schedules and attends meetings, both internal and external. Takes, transcribes and circulates meeting minutes and follows up on action items.
- Organizes special meetings and events within the department. Establishes suitable venues, orders refreshments, draft invitation lists, prepares meeting materials, arranges for parking and/or travel arrangements.
- Manages the Associate Dean’s calendar by scheduling meetings, booking appointments and supplying pertinent meeting documentation as appropriate.
- Maintains and updates systems, procedures and information relative to the department’s financial reporting requirements, including cross-charges, purchase card expense claims and timesheets.
- Sets up and maintains filing systems (including confidential personnel files) as required
- Provides administrative support for Advisory meetings chaired by the Associate Dean or Program Head(s).
- Monitors and maintains attendance records including usage, yearly sick leave and/or vacation entitlement carryovers or payouts for all departmental personnel. Calculates sick leave and/or vacation entitlements including temporary faculty. Ensures annual Attendance Confirmation Reports are signed and filed.
- Supports performance appraisal and probationary review processes by establishing suitable timelines, drafting appropriate correspondence for the Associate Dean’s signature, distributing and collating materials, arranging meetings and taking follow-up action as needed.
- Identifies and develops administrative procedures for the effective operation of the department
- Assists with course marketing activities, e.g., creation of brochures and/or materials, etc.
- Performs duties related to term start-up, including student and Faculty orientation, collecting timetables and course outlines, office allocation, key distribution, voicemail and related administrative requirements.
- Maintains up-to-date program information and ensures its distribution to other functional areas within BCIT.
- Ensures student documents i.e. course credit applications, withdrawals, marks/mark change forms, exemptions, etc. are forwarded to appropriate departmental personnel, and that a departmental file is maintained.
- Organize departmental marks meetings while coordinating with Dean’s office.
- Orders and maintains office supplies, ensures office equipment is serviced and maintains routine upkeep.
- Prepares and edits annual course calendar submissions from information provided by Program Head(s) and/or Part Time Studies (PTS) Coordinator
- Assists the Dean’s office for overload requirements, awards ceremonies, etc. as required.
- Assists coworkers during absences and/or during peak periods as required.
- Participates in Records Custodian training and remains current with record keeping practices, policies and procedures (both BCIT and FOIPOP).
- Undertakes related duties as assigned, consistent with the job grade for this position.
- Completion of Grade 12, plus completion of one year of post-secondary education in Business Administration or equivalent
- Two years of general experience plus two years of current and relevant experience in a similar position.
- Formal training and proficiency using Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Willingness to learn and utilize new technology, including information systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, organizational, planning, coordination and follow-up skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and to deal with situations with tact and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as a team player.
- Must have previous experience taking and transcribing minutes.
- Strong problem-solving, critical thinking and conceptual skills.
- Proven ability to establish priorities, work to deadlines and make responsible decisions while maintaining high levels of customer service.
- Minimum keyboarding skills of 50 wpm.
Benefits – Why you’d love working with us
- Competitive pay
- Minimum of fifteen days of vacation
- Competitive employer-paid extended health and dental plan – take a look at our benefit plans!
- Defined benefit pension plan with employer contributions
- Flexible hybrid work arrangements available
- Professional Development funds and resources
- Access to most BCIT PTS courses free of charge
- Wellness and Employee Assistance programs
- Complimentary membership with free access to the Fitness Centre, Gymnasium, and more
Pay Grade 7; $51,709 to $56,357 per annum
Additional Salary Information
External hires are initially placed at the minimum of the salary range with progression to the maximum. Salary prorated based on percentage and term of appointment.
SoB Broadcast & Media
BCGEU Support Staff
Number of Vacancies
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date
Competition Open Date
Competition Close Date
Open Until Filled?
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.