Overstory Media Group
When Overstory launched in 2021, we did so with the goal of making communities stronger through phenomenal storytelling, high quality reporting, and engaging and thought-provoking content.
We started with one publication in Victoria, BC, and today have over a dozen around Canada along with 50+ full-time staff – and have no plans of slowing down. Our goal is to create, acquire, and build over 50 community publications over the next couple years, and we need help bringing that vision to reality.
We are looking for a goal-oriented, driven, and hungry Account Executive to connect the growing audiences of the Georgia Straight with local businesses and venues looking for local marketing and advertising solutions. We’re looking for someone with a strong background in sales and business development with a keen understanding of digital media and the importance of community news. Someone interested in Arts, Culture, Entertainment, Music, and Food will especially be interested in this role.
This is a full-time opportunity, with bonuses on revenue targets, to be a part of a local media organization that’s dedicated to supporting the growth and expanding the reach of news brands whose purpose is connecting audiences with their communities.
If you love the special blend of people, culture, and business in local communities, this is the perfect role for you.
This is a remote position (WFH) based in Metro Vancouver, BC.
- You have strong sales or business development experience, preferably in Vancouver.
- You have deep knowledge of digital marketing and the ability to craft smart strategies for clients.
- You understand marketing strategy at a fundamental level.
- You have a track record of negotiating and closing deals.
- You have the ability to think on the fly and work in a fast-paced, always changing environment.
- You’re able to interface with clients both remotely and face-to-face.
- You know how to use CRM tools, Google Suite, and Slack.
- You bring an entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to be a self-starter, are self-motivated, and are not afraid of challenges.
- You have excellent communication and presentation skills, are really well organized, and are great at managing your time.
- You have proven customer service experience – people love you!
- You have an eye for detail and quality control.
- You have a passion for creating partnerships and helping local businesses grow.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Create and build relationships with local and regional brand partners.
- Unearth new sales opportunities through networking and turn them into long-term partnerships.
- Produce and deliver compelling presentations and media plans.
- Compile and analyze data to find trends.
- Ensure timely and accurate recording, tracking, and reporting of sales activities and customer/competitive information through the CRM.
- Work with internal team to develop sales and marketing strategies.
- Manage all aspects of the sales cycle, including lead generation, proposal and presentation, contract negotiation, and closing.
- Work with a creative and highly motivated team to support the business as a whole.
Perks of working with us:
- Comprehensive health, dental, and vision benefits.
- Full-time position with a competitive compensation package.
- Flexible, fully remote work hours.
- Generous vacation and PTO policy.
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture.
Who we are:
Overstory Media Groupis a Canadian media company that delivers high-quality, fact-based journalism and storytelling to the communities we’re in. At Overstory our goal is to empower communities – connected by geography, industry, or interest – with information delivered by the people within them.
We do this by identifying journalists, creators, and existing brands who share in this belief and provide tools, resources, and financial support to help them create in their communities.
Today we have over a dozen community brands across Canada under our umbrella, and are looking to continue growing. Some of the community outlets under our umbrella include The Georgia Straight, Capital Daily, Vancouver Tech Journal, Burnaby Beacon, and Fraser Valley Current.
We encourage you to apply even if you don’t have every single aspect of the job description._ We value grit and intelligence and know that skills can be acquired_. We appreciate you applying, however only applicants moving forward will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our mission as a company is to provide an equal opportunity that caters to inclusion and diversity within the workplace and extend our services within the community as a brand. We recognize and value individual differences and are committed to upholding this value to mirror the diversity within our country.
We thank you for your application in advance! Please note you will only be contacted in the event that your application is selected to move forward.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $50,000.00-$60,000.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Work from home
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Commission pay
Work Location: Remote
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (jobsincanada.one) you saw this job posting.